Most people call me Mei. Hi :) I’d shake your hand, but there’s a screen between us, so here’s a virtual high-five *high-five*!
Travel stole my heart and never gave it back.
I first started travelling when I was 18 when I went to Colorado for a four-month Working Holiday stint. That was when adventure become my drug. I needed to meet different people; I craved new experiences; I didn’t feel at home until I was away from home. And so I saved up as much money as I could and flew miles around the world to get my fix. I volunteered in Mauritius, backpacked the Middle East solo, cleaned animal cages in Indonesia, worked with Orang Asli in Terengganu’s rainforest, translocated wild elephants in Kelantan and quit my job to climb mountains in New Zealand.
My travel style? Backpacking solo. I’ll be the first to admit that it’s not easy for a girl to travel solo, especially if you’re Asian and female. Nonetheless, it has been the best learning curve and most defining experience for me. I want to use my stories to empower other women to overcome their fears of travelling.
I am honestly, just a regular Malaysian girl trying to fulfill her insane hunger for travel. I am not one of those extraordinary travel bloggers you read about on the internet – I can’t afford to become a full-time traveller, I don’t have the physical ability to cycle around the world, I’m not crazy enough to hitchhike between continents. I am just like you, a regular person figuring out how to fit a life of travel between the filial Asian commitments of work, family, and a retirement fund.
Meimeichu.com is a concoction of my passion: backpacking, storytelling, collecting experiences and everything in between. For me, travelling is not about seeing a new place, but a journey of learning. Travelling is my post-graduate education. The memories of my adventures of some of my most valuable treasures, I hope it inspires you to embark on an adventure of your own.
Okay, this talking about myself thing is getting awkward, so here’s a silly little poem to end with:
In the mornings, I’m a day dreamer, by nights I’m a mermaid;
Most days I’m a wanderer, the travel bug’s my aid;
My pores soak up what I feel and see,
the sound, smell, taste of any degree;
I travel to places far and wide,
some days in my head, others in my stride;
No matter who I meet, who knows where I’ll land;
The fun part’s the guessing, with a pen in my hand.
This travel blog by your regular wanderlusted Malaysian girl is a result of that concoction. I hope you enjoy reading this mixture of giddy travels and lucid imaginations!
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Site of the Year, Malaysia Website Awards 2017
- Site of the Month – August, Malaysia Website Awards 2017
- Top 30 Malaysian Travel Bloggers (based on search and social metrics)
- Malaysia’s Top 2 Travel Blogger (based on votes)
- ZafigoX 2018
- Pecha Kucha Petaling Jaya 2019
- Tin Talks 2019
- Klook Fest 2019
- Expedia Singapore: Women with Capes
- Malaysia Airlines’ Going Places: Traveller’s top recommendation for 2019
- BFM89.9: Hervantage – Walking The World with Mei Mei Chu, Ticket To Ride Episode 102: The Polynesian Kingdom of Tonga
- Harian Metro: Cinta Dunia Kembara
- Popclub Magazine: My Backpack and I
- Marie France Asia: 14 Malaysian Bloggers You Need To Know
- Currenseek: Got Wanderlust? You Need To Know These 9 Travel Bloggers in Malaysia!
- The Sun Daily: The Wandering Writer
ALSO SEEN IN
Fireflyz by Firefly Airlines, Zafigo, The Star, Tonguechic, Tallypress, SAYS, Guang Ming Daily, Hitz FM, The Malay Mail, New Straits Times, Loyar Burok, Cilisos.
December 14, 2013 at 4:46 am
Interesting Mei :)
December 30, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Thank you Jan! :)